Saturday, November 8, 2008

Victim #69: Massachusetts Injustice System



At Salem Court on October 30, there were two other child support / alimony related cases immediately before the judge heard my case. The first man was a white Caucasian in the late 40's or early 50's. He stated he had been unemployed living in a government shelter. His ex-wife was represented by an attorney.

After hearing, he was hands cuffed, ankles chained, taken away immediately by the court police and sentenced to jail for 10 days. The second man was a hispanic in mid-30's. He stated he tried to find job; he got one. But he was laid off after couple months. He is still looking for another job; but he could not get one so far. He was hands cuffed, ankles chained, taken away immediately by the court police and sentenced to jail for 30 days on the spot. Then, it was our case. I was Pro Se; my ex was represented by her Boston attorney.

Because I was able to present to the judge that I actually over paid 48 weeks of child support, the judge did not imprison me on the spot. For the alimony issue, the judge set a trial date on Feb. 10, 2009.

Massachusetts legal system is very faulty; it critically needs reform. Massachusetts is likely the only state that puts the emancipation age of the child at age 23 if enrolled as a full time student (Google search). Even my daughter graduated in June 2007 from university and she has been fully employed with annual income of $59,000, I was ordered to continue paying child support until April 2008 (age 23) simply because I did not file complaint for modification before her university graduation in June 2007.

I can not go back to my country now, because my passport has been revoked as a result of my ex's legal manipulation even though I over paid child support. My story could be a movie, a sad story. But I realize now that I am not alone. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude should exist in the United States. Unfortunately, we are actually in this modern slavery.

###