Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Alimony Victim #1 - A Second Wife Wannabee

I've been on several web sites lately reviewing the documentation about Alimony Reform. I have been divorced in the past and basically got the shaft because of all the threats to take my assets. I am in the military and have been since 17 years old. Recently, I met a man who is going through a divorce, that I would like to marry, but am concerned about the current laws for alimony. We are both Christian people who are trying to do things the right way but seem to be getting nowhere.

My friend has been married for 23 years to a woman who is a bit mentally un-stable and has admitted that in several of the legal paperwork. I could go into detail on how she set up my friend for failure and get him to pay but I'll spare the details. He just went to court the other day and was told he may have to pay $600.00 a week to his soon-to-be ex-wife for life.

She was the one that filed for divorce and left him with a $2200.00 house payment and a 19 yr old son who is in college. She has not been contributing because she claims she can't work and manipulated the system to collect disability. It is so sad. Because I have been in the military for so long, I have a good retirement. I also own my house and have land in XXX. I'm from XXXX and I feel that the system has a way of raping people.

If we decide to get married, according to law, she can come after my assets. I am so torn, love the man and don't know what I can do to help. I am in the process of writing to the representatives and congressmen asking them to support the Bill that is being proposed. Do you have any other guidance that you could provide to help us while we are in this process? Anything will help us at this point so we don't make mistakes for our future and to help change the current system.