Monday, June 15, 2009

Victim #117: Down on the Farm



After a five-year battle, last year I was finally successful at getting my alimony reduced from $15,000 per month to $2,000 per month. It was only possible when the attorneys saw that there was no money left. Everything was gone, my business had been ruined and I was financially wiped out. My current wife and I also lost our home. We could no longer afford to live in Mass. and moved to Kentucky with our 2 children. We are renters now and live on a farm, but at least our life can move on.

I filed for bankruptcy here in Kentucky and last week I was at the bankruptcy court. The judge was looking over my papers and asked me how long I had to pay alimony. I said “Until I’m 62. I’m 46 now.” Upon leaving the courtroom, my attorney (a woman) looked at me in shock and said, “I can’t believe you have to pay $2,000 per month until you’re 62!!! That’s unbelievable!!! Can’t you get that reduced???”

…She has no idea

###