Friday, April 17, 2009

Victim #104: No Good Deed Goes Unpunished



As of Jan 31, 09 I have been separated from my wife for one year. The separation was my idea and a darn good one, our marriage was over 2 yrs into it. The following 7 yrs were out of necessity on her behalf, after she was diagnosed with breast cancer.

Who knows, maybe we thought things might change for us, the only thing that changed was she got use to not working. She is cancer free over 6 yrs now and I'm happy for her.

At the time of our separation, we entered into an agreement which was not court ordered. I was actually proud of us, hence we finally grew up. I asked her to leave Nov 07, told her to take her time. She did until Jan 08. I told her to take whatever she wanted...she did, I made sure she would not have a car payment and signed over our truck to her. She wanted our pet cats / yes she took them as well.

Our agreement was for an exorbitant amount of money considering my income, But I wanted to give her that boost she claimed she needed to re- establish herself as an independent again, and the fact that she was going to force me to have her evicted if I didn’t agree.

She took a copy of our agreement to an attorney to have notarized and witnessed which was fine with me. I wanted her to feel secure with it. BIG MISTAKE!!

She has worked part time for 3 yrs now. Before that and during her recovery she worked mostly with me doing odd jobs painting houses and such.

Now she claims she cant work full time and she suffers from depression. She was depressed when I met her.

So here's the break-down: I gross $33,000 yearly after all standard deductions including her health insurance. My net take home is $1,634. My monthly expenses w/car payment and allowing $150 per month for food come to $1,684. Oops, did I miss something here? Where is the $800 per month the court has just ordered me to pay her? Oh yes, lets not forget the attorney fees which I just inherited of $2,500.

Here's my take, I have zero savings/zero assets/zero investments/ obviously there is no money in my checking acct from month to month. I'm told...well Mr. brown that’s your problem. When I went to court they treated me like a common criminal. When all I've tried to do is help this person and I told her we have to keep the lawyers out of it or we will be spending money we don’t have just to line their pockets, she thinks they are her friends.

I asked her if they are your friends, then maybe they will pay you support while I'm doing time for contempt, for non-compliance. I am appalled at this system it is so ridiculous. After reading the 13th amendment, I'm really mad, we have got to do something. I feel so violated.

I'm a maintenance supervisor for an apt. complex. I make very little money, I'm honest / I like helping people / which is one thing my wife despised about me...too bad.

Sincerely Fed up & Disgusted and disappointed in my Government.

###